OPPORTUNITY: DIRECTOR OF FUND OPERATIONS
1855 Capital is a portfolio company in the Ben Franklin Technology PArtners network. Ben Franklin is an early stage investor that invests both money and business support resources in the success of our portfolio companies. Our portfolio companies, like 1855 Capital, offer career opportunities in entrepreneurial startups throughout much of Pennsylvania. Ben Franklin Technology Partners and its portfolio companies are Equal Opportunity Employers-/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability. For additional information about the Ben Franklin family of companies, contact Kate Alward 814.863.6007.
THE OPPORTUNITY: DIRECTOR OF FUND OPERATIONS LOCATION: STATE COLLEGE, PA
1855 Capital is a seed and early stage venture capital fund investing in companies with an affinity to Penn State University. While the Fund has strong ties to the Penn State community – local and global – 1855 Capital is a privately owned and operated company and is not directly affiliated with Penn State. 1855 Capital looks for companies in the areas of Information Technology, Advanced Materials, Fintech, Edtech, Healthcare and Medical Devices; offering mentorship and funds for high quality start-ups to ensure their success, and benefit our investors, the start-up teams and the community.
Working in concert with the funds full-time Managing Directors and the investing Limited Partners, the Operations Manager will help execute the funds strategy of identifying and investing in early stage start-ups. The position will be directly responsible to build and maintain operational infrastructure to support 1855 Capital’s mission and drive organizational outcomes that meet and, ultimately, exceed the organization’s goals.
The Director of Operations will work at the cross roads of business, technology and emerging company issues to adeptly manage investment operations as 1855 Capital scales its portfolio. This is a multi-disciplinary role that requires expertise in finance, accounting, reporting, legal, risk management, deal execution, follow on financings, mergers and acquisitions, and human resources. The Operations Manager will interact regularly and directly with our portfolio companies; they will also have a key role in portfolio management and development as well as interacting with limited partners to help manage investor relations.
The position will be located at the 1855 Capital headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania, and will have the opportunity to access, build and maintain a staff with one of the most energetic resources in the Commonwealth: Penn State graduate and undergraduate students. In addition to intelligence and energy, these students offer insight into the ideas and perspectives unique to their generation which will provide connections to the start-up concepts emerging from many of their peers. The Director of Operations will work with the Smeal Business School, the Schreyer’s Honor College and the University campuses throughout the Commonwealth to offer a unique internship opportunity to the best and brightest among those students.
DUTIES MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Impacting strategic plans by developing an organization which is prepared and poised to capitalize on securing meaningful ownership shares in promising startups, follow-on financing, and M & A.
- Effectively executing the overall approach and day-to-day operations of the organization which includes, but is not limited to: accounting, and financial analysis/management, support and service delivery, brand management, marketing and sales, optimizing human resources, contract review and negotiations, corporate compliance, legal and risk management.
- Managing all 1855 Capital accounting operations including, but not limited to: maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, the production of periodic financial reports, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of 1855 Capital’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Developing and Managing a staff of 6 interns (+/-) that will provide bandwidth for executing on many of the functions and activities mentioned above. The Intern program is expected to provide a quality learning experience to the best and brightest students interested in business strategy and finance. The Director of Operation is expected to staff and to continuously develop/mentor members of the Intern Team as they work on and complete assigned tasks in company due diligence, report generation, LP and public communication.
- Promoting world-class standards of fund management and valuation, investor relations, service, and satisfaction.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS – KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Master’s degree in accounting or business administration or equivalent business experience and 5+ years of progressively responsible, related experience for a major company or division of a large corporation or a venture capital fund.
- Experience partnering with an executive team and mastering change management, investor management and corporate development.
- Proven track record of accurately analyzing opportunities and operating results and making appropriate bold, impactful decisions, pivoting and making tactical adjustments that lead to sustainable growth, and evolving/improving plans and initiatives based on what is learned to create alignment with long-term strategic objectives
- History of hiring, growing, and retaining superbly talented staff, building high-functioning teams that aspire to routinely exceed industry standards for professional excellence
- Finely-tuned business acumen; high-level analysis, critical thinking skills, and decision-making skills are a must
- High comfort level with technology, software and spreadsheets, including use of financial, metric-driven performance reporting, all Microsoft office products, on-line meeting tools, smart phones and other technology tools
- Effective, persuasive and compelling communications skills are absolutely critical
- Political savvy and personal leadership presence which fosters the respect, trust, goodwill and support of internal and external stakeholders, including, but not limited to, customers, employees throughout all levels in the organization, investors, community leaders, legal, financial, media and other professional service providers, vendors/suppliers/distributors, etc.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible/extended hours and occasional travel to accomplish objectives.
- Background checks pertinent to the position may be performed; results must be satisfactory to the company
- If hired, must adhere to all company policies and procedures, safety requirements, and other prescribed best practices/industry standards
Other desired experience or skills (these are a plus!)
- Preference will be given to candidates with an MBA with an emphasis in Finance or Accounting.
- Preference will be given to candidates with current experience/prior in a operating Venture or Private Equity Fund
We invite you to send a short cover letter describing why you are interested in this job. Please make sure to include your desired salary/range in the cover letter. Send your cover letter and a resume to email@example.com; include “Director of Operations” in the subject line.
- This position will remain open until filled. Cover letters and resumes are requested by April 20, 2018.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. This company does not sponsor applicants for work visas.
- Local applicants or those who can report to work on a punctual basis in State College, PA during normal work hours and as needed to meet business requirements are encouraged to apply; there is no relocation allowance.
EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability. 1855 Capital reserves the right to alter, change, modify and/or terminate this job posting at any time without advance notice, or obligation, to any party.